THE THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY IN ENGLAND REGISTERED CHARITY
The Theosophical Society was founded in New York City in 1875 and today has its world headquarters at Adyar, Chennai, India. Its three principal founders were H.P. Blavatsky, a Russian Noblewoman, H.S.Olcott, a retired Civil War Colonel, and William Q Judge, an Irish lawyer. The Society was registered with the Charity Commision on 20 June2016 and is now recognised as the English Section of the Theosophical Society (Adyar).
The Durham Centre for Theosophical Studies (DCTS) materialised as a result of the efforts of a handful of dedicated students, two of whom graduated from the Diploma in Theosophy in December 2011. The inauguration date of the DCTS was chosen to coincide with the Winter Solstice the 21st December 2012. The Durham Centre is an autonomous section of the Theosophical Society in England, whose Headquarters are at 50 Gloucester Place in London W1U 8EA.
Membership is open to all accepting the Society's three declared objects, namely
1. To form a nucleus of the Universal Brotherhood of humanity without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste or colour
2. To encourage the study of comparative religion, philosophy and science
3. To investigate unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in man
Durham Centre for Theosophical Studies
It is the intention of the 'Durham Centre for Theosophical Studies' to provide a vehicle for the dissemination of hidden truths available to us all through the 'Ancient Wisdom' and to deliver this knowledge to a Brotherhood of like minded souls corresponding to the goal of the first object of the Theosophical Society. To study the Ancient Wisdom in light of modern thought on science, philosophy and comparative religion and to study the latent powers in men/women, with a view to applying that essential knowledge and power within a peaceful love filled environment to the service of humanity.
The Theosophical Order of Service (TOS)
A number of our members are affiliated to the TOS, the charitable arm of the Theosophical Society.
Dr Annie Besant the then International President of the Theosophical Society (TS), founded the TOS in February 1908 in response to the wish of a number of Theosophical Society members 'to organise themselves for various lines of service, to actively promote the first object of the Society.'
Further enquiries to:
Cynthia and Atma Trasi
66 Kirkgate, Shipley, West Yorkshire BB18 3EL
Tel: 01274 598 455